Cassia vs Ceylon Cinnamon: What are they? and Which Is Better?
- Cassia is derived from different species of Cinnamomum trees. It’s inexpensive and commonly available.
- Ceylon(also known as “true” cinnamon) is derived specially from the Cinnamomum verum tree. It’s more expensive and is less common than Cassia.
Overall above two types of cinnamon have almost similar health benefits.
1. Cures Acne and Pimples:
Cinnamon can help you in curing acne and pimples on the face. Combine honey and cinnamon in 3:1 ratio. Apply the paste on the affected areas and wash with normal water after some time.
Cinnamon is loaded with antioxidants like polyphenols.
3. Boosts Brain Functioning:
Smelling cinnamon regularly helps the cognitive ability and memory of the brain.
Studies show cinnamon may help reduce inflammation.
5. Cinnamon Helps to Lowers Blood Sugar Levels:
Cinnamon is known for its blood sugar lowering effects. Cinnamon can lower blood sugar by behaving similar to insulin. So it increases body insulin’s capacity to move blood sugar into cells.
6. Cinnamon Helps Fight Bacterial and Fungal Infections:
Cinnamaldehyde, an active component of cinnamon, helps to fight infections.
7. Protects Dental Health & Freshens Breath:
The essential oil found in cinnamon can naturally combat bacteria in the mouth acting just like a natural mouthwash.
8. Beauty benefits:
Essential oil extracted from Cinnamon is also used in beauty products, shampoos, and perfumes. This is due to many health benefits that help in fighting with infection. Pleasant smell is another reason.
9. Can Be Used as a Natural Food Preservative:
Less known but useful benefits of cinnamon is that it can be used to preserve food. Since it has anti-bacterial abilities and is an antioxidant, it can be used as a preservative in many foods without the need for chemicals and artificial preservatives.
Allergy from Cinnamon:
Cinnamon is a common spice allergy triggers. In some people breathing, eating, or touching the spice can trigger an allergic reaction. Hence medical advice should be taken in such a case.
Do we have another spice which is as delicious and healthy as cinnamon? Let me know in the comments.