Teeth whitening is not the permanent solution. Plus, it’s an expensive process. So you should try your best to maximize the longevity of your results. You should have a proper teeth whitening follow-up care. Plus, you should avoid foods that stain your teeth quickly.
Foods and drinks you should certainly avoid after whitening your teeth.
- Dark chocolate: Yummm!!! This is my expression when I chew dark chocolate. It’s like attaining nirvana. Dark chocolates are not only tasty but also nutritious. They help you to avoid heart disease and lower your blood pressure. However, dark chocolates have a negative side also. They can ruin your newly whitened teeth. I’m not asking you to stop munching dark chocolates forever. Just stop eating dark chocolates one week after whitening your teeth.
- Sauces: Do you love to eat Chinese food? Love to eat Chicken Manchurian or Chicken Manchow soup? Well, tomato sauce, soya sauce, fish sauce, and other dark sauces can leave a nasty stain in your teeth. So try to avoid eating Chinese and Thai cuisines after teeth whitening. Ask your dentist how long you need to wait after treatment.
- Citrus fruits: There are several types of fruits that are acidic in nature. They have strong bleaching agents which can weaken your tooth enamel. That is why you should avoid these kinds of fruits to prevent pain and sensitivity. Citrus fruits like limes and oranges increase the acidity of your saliva and affect your teeth badly. So try to avoid these kinds of fruits. Try to avoid pickles and soft drinks too.
- Some fruits and veggies: Avoid eating beets, tomatoes, pomegranates, and blueberries since these are dark foods. They stain your teeth. Avoid artificially-dyed candies also. They are bad for your teeth.
- Tobacco: Smoking is injurious to health. If you’re a chain smoker, you must have read this line million times and have learned the art of ignoring the implication of the phrase. But do you know tobacco is bad for your teeth also? If you have spent a significant amount on your teeth whitening, then you should quit smoking as they cigarettes are the biggest staining culprits around.
- Powdered cheese snacks: Most people love cheese in any form. But powdered cheese can create a big mess in your mouth. It can ruin your freshly-whitened teeth. So try to avoid snacks which have powdered cheese in them.
- Red wine: Sipping a glass of red wine is the perfect way to relax after a busy day. Plus, red wine has lots of health benefits too. But if you love your teeth and money, then avoid red wine as long as possible. Red wine has a strong staining power. Don’t start drinking white wine just because red wine is off limits. White wine should also be avoided.
- Coffee: Do you need a cup of coffee to refresh your mind and start the day with a bang? If so, then you have to give up this habit. Coffee stains your teeth quickly. It might be the prime reason why you need to whiten your teeth. Most dentists recommend patients to avoid coffee for a few days after dental bleaching and teeth whitening. Wait at least for 3 days after undergoing the teeth whitening procedure.
- Cold drinks: Teeth tend to become overly sensitive after the teeth whitening procedure. If you don’t want to make your teeth uncomfortable, then avoid cold beverages post surgery. Avoid iced drinks, too cold soups, and frozen desserts. These foods should be avoided completely.
Foods and Drinks that are safe after teeth whitening
After reading so many things about what you shouldn’t eat after teeth whitening, you must be wondering what foods you can eat without feeling guilty. Well, not all foods stain your teeth. There are several foods and drinks you can consume after undergoing a teeth whitening procedure. Here are a few of them.
- Egg whites
- Skinless poultry
- White bread
- Coconut water
- Tonic water
- Sparkling water
If you want to transform your dim smile into a beaming smile, then find out a good dental clinic in your area. Look at the kinds of treatments available there. For instance, check if they do the dental cleaning, dental polishing, dental implants, etc. Check out the rates and online reviews also. Choose a dental clinic that has skilled dentists, an amazing staff, and good infrastructure. You’ll get the best treatment for improving your dental health.